Skip to content

The train strike and the quiet beach


After waking up and taking a shower... the owner was still not there, but an old lady was waiting for us to pay her, so everything worked out fine. Our first stop was to buy a laptop charger for Alex (we saw the place the first day, but when Alex came back with his laptop it was closed!) Then we got a tuk tuk to the railway station to get the train to Bentota, and when we were arriving the driver said that they were on strike and it's not going. I thought it was a scam, si I said I still wanted to go there and ask. The railway station staff was not helpful and their only advice was to search for a bus "that goes there sometimes". At the same place, a taxi driver wanted to drive us there, but our tuktuk driver shaked his head and took us to a bus stop. He told us to wait for the line 2 and warned us it can take up to 1 hour to come. Not even 2 minutes had passed when a van with a big 2 appeared, and the tuktuk driver, who was still there, halted it for us. We learned later the vans with AC are the "luxury buses", which are really fair priced. I wish we could have taken many more!

Final first thoughts about Colombo: I don't like it, I am unable to tell which bus stops where, they drive like crazy and it is a really big traffic jam.

Arriving to Bentota and finding our guest house was pretty easy (even with the annoying people offering stuff in our way). It was the top floor of a house by the river, really new and nice, and the guest rooms big and sparkly clean. Sadly the power was out (the previous week there was a cyclon and they were having power breaks during the day to get things fixed). To eat, we got stopped by a local while we were searching for a place and took us to his family's restaurant which offered ok rice. And that's where we learned all the Coke bottles are from 2007. After working a bit we went to the beach to swim and see the sunset. We had dinner at the other side of the river, in a place we descovered because we could see the wifi network from our room. Dinner was nice, with cocktails we paid 2300 rupees. We slept like babies again.

Sleep: Little Swan

A boat named as a German state
A stray dog living life
Empty beach would be perfect to play volleyball


Breakfast was awesome! Then we went on a boat safari in the river with our host and his son (which was included in the room price, 25€ per night) where even saw a small crocodile. Funny thing we can't still quite understand: he kept pointing and telling us which were the muslim-majority places. Then he took us to the Rescue turtle center (500 rupees each), where in the rescue area we met Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder (an albino turtle, and one born without eyes). But I would not go again, they offered us to hold baby the turtles, I'm quite sure it's not nice for them.

Then we worked, ate in a place called Happy Garden, back to work, beach, and dinner. We went back to the Happy Garden because Alex wanted beer and I remembered I had read beer, but...  it was ginger one. Apparently alcohol licenses are expensive, and they usually don't serve alcohol in restaurants.

Sleep: Little Swan

A breakfast with a view
We are not the only ones impressed with crocodiles
The Buddhist temple next to our guest house
Published: 24 February 2018, by susana

Do you want to leave a comment?

I travelled to Sri Lanka with Alex, and spent December 2017 and January 2018 there. We travelled with our laptops and worked in the afternoon and/or evening, so we had time to see a lot of places, but took it slow.

Entry 2 out of the 20 from this trip

December 2017