Skip to content

An open secret: the small and beautiful Hiriketiya


We got up soon because Kelum had night shift and we thought he would come back and go to sleep but instead he made our laundry (for free!) and had a tea with us. Then we had breakfast with John, and worked while waiting for the rain to ease.

We took a bus to Matara, another one to Dickwella and a tuktuk to Hiriketiya. We decided to directly ask in a guest house instead of booking it online, and we got a slightly better price, which cheered us up in the terrible weather, and after working we got lunch to a really cool place, but the food was just ok and expensive.

Hiriketiya is reaaaally tourist oriented, and a bit more pricey than other places, so we decided to go back to the main road to get some food. The path back was a road surrounded by jungle with thousands of fireflies, it looked like a fairytale! We bought some cookies and ate some street food, and on our way back we got a bier in Salt, an expensive place owned by an Australian.

Sleep: Sea Port Hiriketiya


We jumped out of bed to see the sunrise and a wake up swim. There were a LOT of people: fisherman coming back from work, surfers, girls taking pictures, and even come people doing a photoshoot.

After that we changed and walked to Wewrukannala Buduraja Mahaviharaya, the temple with the biggest seating Buda in south Asia (apparently). Took about 35 minutes, and in our way we saw peacocks and monkeys. At the door, a woman insisted on selling us flowers for the Buddah, and we had to pay 400 rupees entrance fee even if I had read the place was free... We saw "hell", had a limited conversation with a sweet old lady who spoke broken English and was interested in us and we saw a family removing the stem of the flowers to offer them. So we copied them and Alex shared part of his flowers with some kids, making them super happy! We wanted to go inside the Buddah but we for whatever reason it was closed, so went to "heaven", and outside another old lady talked a bit with Alex.

Walking back some children came out of a house to talk to us (speaking perfect English, I think to practice, a lady who looked like the teacher was looking and smiling).

Already in the road to the beach I was about to step in the cutest puppy of the world, and we played a bit with him and thought seriously about adopting it... but left it there. Once back we had breakfast, which took 1 hour for a small expensive sandwich... We enjoyed swiming and reading at the beach, had some lunch and went to the nice bar to have some beers and work. For dinner we went to buy some street food at the main road.

Sleep: Sea Port Hiriketiya

Instagramish sunrise picture
Biggest south Asia sitting Buddah
The cutest and friendliest puppy in Sri Lanka


We slept long, went back to the main road for breakfast and enjoyed a chill beach day, swimming, reading, sipping coconuts.

For dinner we went to the chilled place, and treated ourselves with a plate of sea food (it was the first time trying lobster for us both and it was AHHHHMAZING).

Sleep: Sea Port Hiriketiya

The sea food was tasting at least as good as it looked
Published: 24 February 2018, by susana

Do you want to leave a comment?

I travelled to Sri Lanka with Alex, and spent December 2017 and January 2018 there. We travelled with our laptops and worked in the afternoon and/or evening, so we had time to see a lot of places, but took it slow.

Entry 6 out of the 20 from this trip

December 2017